Saturday, November 26, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

In the days leading up to Thanksgiving I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with life (with events going on around the world and things happening in our personal life). When I don't know what to do or think, I use a topical Bible that I have and look up verses pertaining to whatever thoughts or feelings I am having; it's so helpful to read what God's word says about specific topics.  In light of the upcoming holiday, I read every verse I could find about thanksgiving and having a heart of gratitude. As I read and re-read those verses this past week, I was filled with awe and peace and a thankfulness anew for what God has given me, how He has blessed Adam and I and how I love our little (big) family.

Here are a few of the verses that spoke to me, I hope you too, feel a sense of God's love for you in these verses and that you might be filled with a different overwhelming feeling...one of gratitude and hope!
Isaiah 25:1 “O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you, I will give thanks to your name; for you have worked wonders, plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness.”

Colossians 1:15-17 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful...singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God....giving thanks through Him to God the Father.”

Isaiah 38:19 “It is the living who give thanks to God, as I do today; A father tells his sons about His faithfulness.”

Isaiah 12:4-5 “Give thanks to the LORD, call on His name.  Make known His deeds among the peoples; make them remember that His name is exalted”....Let this be known throughout the Earth.”

Psalm 136:1 “Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, for His lovingkindness is everlasting.”

Colossians 4:2 “Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving.”

I enjoyed this holiday season as I was able to reflect and think about all that God has given me.  I truly am thankful for all His gracious provisions, for the health we enjoy, for the family members I have and the support of truly phenomenal friends who are like iron sharpening iron for me.  I am grateful that God holds this world and all that is in it in His righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:10 says, "Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God.   I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

This year Adam and I hosted Thanksgiving since my parents house was still a bit under construction. 
IMG_6696
IMG_6687
IMG_6690
I thought it'd be fun, now that most all our kids can write, to start a yearly activity of making hand prints with things that each one of us is thankful for to pull out and look at each year.  I think what the kids wrote is pretty cute.
IMG_6722

IMG_6731
Lawson was grateful for his voice box, his "voysbocs".  We have been praying for a friend of mine's little girl who was born with a paralyzed voice box, so I thought it was precious that Lawson would put that down.  I look forward to reading these sweet remembrances every year!

IMG_6743

IMG_6732
Ava Jane still needed lots of help writing her's, then she added more "words" herself.

IMG_6741

IMG_6733

IMG_6745

This group of people are precious to me.  I can't imagine my world without them, their support and their thoughtfulness holds me together some days.  I'm grateful for my "village".  Philippians 1:3 "I thank my God in every remembrance of you!"  As Dad likes to say, "we made a memory" and I'm so thankful to have spent part of my Thanksgiving with these dear ones!
IMG_6717


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...