Saturday, May 7, 2011

Paula Deen's Slow Cooker Spinach Manicotti

I've recently been using recipes from Paula Deen's magazine "Quick and Easy Meals". Last night I did the slow cooker spinach manicotti, and I must say it was tastey!! It's super easy to put together and the whole family loved it!

Voila!
DSCN1611

Here are the items you'll need:
DSCN1587

1 (15 oz) ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 t salt
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, chopped
1 (24 oz) jar roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce, divided
1 (8 oz) package uncooked manicotti shells

Stir together ricotta, spinach, egg, 1/4 cup parmesan, mozzerella and salt
DSCN1593

In bottom of slow cooker, combine 1 can stewed tomatoes and 1 cup of pasta sauce. Stuff the UNCOOKED shells with the spinach mixture (just using my fingers to stuff the shells seemed to work best), then place stuffed shells in cooker
DSCN1594

Top shells with the second can of stewed tomatoes, arrange remaining stuffed shells over tomatoes and pour the rest of the pasta sauce evenly over the manicotti; top with 1/2 cup of parmesan, cover and cook for 3-4 hrs

DSCN1597

I served it with garlic french bread and salad, for dessert we had simple vanilla ice cream with crumbled mint Oreos...mmmmm tastey!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh-La-La ... I can't WAIT to try this!! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMO! I'm going to have to try this. Did it fill Adam? Drew always complains that pastas don't fill him enough, so we rarely eat it, unless ofcourse it's lasagna with meat sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to double the recipe. Can I do that and cook for the same amount of time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you cook this on High or Low for 3 to 4 hrs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cook it on low. Hope you enjoy it! It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Can I double the recipe and add the shells on top?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think you could double it. I've never done that but as long as your crock pot is big enough I think that'd be fine. Hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think you could double it. I've never done that but as long as your crock pot is big enough I think that'd be fine. Hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best way I found to stuff the manicotti noodles was to use a pastry bag with a wide tip. Very fast.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...