Friday, April 19, 2013

Life and Backwards Planning

To say this past week was busy is a severe under statement, it was a lot of fun, but it was fast and furious!

I had my hair done and asked Emily to try curling my very thick, straight hair to see if she could get it to hold (and she did) I enjoyed it and thought it turned out pretty cute...I've worn it curled a couple times last week, but haven't gotten it down real fast yet, its taking some practice!
IMG_1004

I've begun to realize my life demands backwards planning...I CANNOT go to bed without first making a fairly detailed outline for my next day. If I don't, then I inevitably forget something when I leave my house and end up wasting time having to back track...you know how it is, I can't leave without someone's blanket, or wipes, a kids backpack or lunch, the pile of laundry that needs to go the cleaners has to be put in my car the night before and it has to sit in my passenger front seat and keep me company or else I'll forget about it! Or most days lately, my list of things to remember, when I'm putting my four kids in the car, has been 2 sets of cleats, 2 baseball gloves, 2 bats, hats, as well as snacks and drinks for the several hours of practices. Be still my heart, aren't they so cute!
IMG_1129
IMG_1150

I have to keep a running list of things I need to buy or pick up in the "notes" portion of my phone, without that I'd be a lost lady!! I've found that if I don't have a running list to look at, of things I "need to do next", then I waste time trying to figure out what I need to be doing!

Literally on days when the kids are at MDO I map out my morning in as orderly a fashion a possible, usually its according to a.)whatever time the store opens or b.)I try and go to the furtherest place and work my way back toward the school. On mornings like last week I woke up at 5am to have my quiet time, dressed and fed all four kids and took them all to school by 8am because Adam had to be out of town for work; I ran to Kroger's, came home, unloaded and put it all away, went to prayer group, made a stop at Walgreens, Khols, Home Depot, Mardels and Hobby Lobby all by 11:45. I grabbed a CFA sandwich and scarfed it down then flew through Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx and headed up to Caroline's Consignment. In order to not be running back and forth it required me to pre-think everything I needed to put in my car when I left my house for the second time that morning (at a mere 9:15! Geesh!)

Backwards planning...it's what's for dinner (and breakfast, lunch, snack time....anytime really!) I am not perfect at it, (I won't ever be) but I am learning the dance of planning and remembering, but mostly anticipating. With kids in this phase of life, I often feel like I'm running a three ring circus, and it seems I can't get ahead of the game. To stay on top of it all requires quite a bit of endurance and stamina...and honestly, sometimes it just runs out!

Like one day last week I decided to enjoy the beautiful spring weather and make a stop at a park on our way home...it's nice that I had previously anticipated a day like this having bought pre-packaged snacks (of goldfish and cheezits) as well as a box of capri suns that were just waiting in the back of the Suburban for just a time as this! I love being flexible and doing spur of the moment things, but with kids, it often doesn't feel "spontaneous" because there's usually so much to remember to pack! I loved swinging with the boys and watching them run and play! Then there's those real life moments with boys, when you're without a restroom close by and you realize, it's really quite simple for boys!!
IMG_1098
IMG_1099
IMG_1083
IMG_1057

And this little lady just snoozed the whole time...man I love her!
IMG_1093

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...