Tuesday, January 22, 2013

God At Work...

When everything I'm studying all starts pointing to the same topic, I have to wonder, "Is God trying to tell me something?" Or, rather, "what is God trying to say to me?!"

I have to say that 2013 has started off with a jolt, I'm being challenged and stretched in many ways spiritually. I shared earlier that I accepted the scripture memory challenge that Beth Moore is doing along with all her Blog followers, and that process has been fun and SO rewarding (I've even found an app on my i-phone that will quiz me on my verses...kuddos to me for jumping off into the 21st century and moving from my slider, who knew a phone could be so fun and helpful in this endeavor!?) I'm finally doing the study STUCK, by Jennie Allen, it is phenomenal and so raw, transparent and just plain good, thanks Grace, for meeting and sharing life along side me! My weekly Bible study, BLOOM, is studying Priscilla Shirer's book "The Resolution For Women" and I'm loving it!

All of these studies, keep coming back to a central theme, you can call them "tassels" (as Priscilla does), or "stuck places" (as Jennie does), or you can call them "idols" (as scripture points out)...no matter what you label them, they are places in my heart, or things in my life that I need to lay down before the Lord! Places I need to be real, honest and open with myself, cause God's already seen it, I might as well face it! Hebrews 4:13 "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is laid bare...." And part of my new memory verse is Philippians 4:8 ..."whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things."

Man, I find myself getting "stuck" in so many places, but I resolve (with firmness of purpose) to be devoted to Christ and to be defined by His word, to devote myself completely to His priorities and to continue practicing His presence---since He's ALWAYS there!

My tassels and stuck places often take the form of comparison, unmet expectations of myself, and simply not relying fully on God (which is PRIDE at its worst)...all of these areas are really just idols. These aren't gold shiny statues or a little fat man sitting on my mantle, but these are still idols, when I allow them to pervade my thoughts, consume my mind and time and effect my actions toward my kids, my husband and others!

I don't have a way to wrap up my conclusions and thoughts with a pretty red bow just yet, I'm definitely still processing, but I am confident of this, that I am resolved to focus, as I press hard up against Christ, to stay in His word, to learn to listen to Him speaking and to obey. I want "whatever" I think on to to be true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy!! Whatever I think on is eventually going to come out in my thoughts and actions...Satan knows the influence my thoughts have on my words, actions and responses, so I am going to continue striving to take every thought captive (II Cor. 10:5) and am trying to "practice His presence", because He truly is all around me, if I would just be still and take notice!!
Most beautiful show at sea - Madeira Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...