Friday, January 11, 2013

Challenge of 2013

This past year Adam read through the entire Bible and began regularly memorizing verses. Scripture just started jumping out at him and becoming so alive to him through the process of scripture memorization. He would share his verses and have me "quiz" him; he is quite disciplined and its such a great example for me to watch. He's even been teaching Peyton some of his scriptures on their car ride to school each morning; he is great at discipleship and I'm so grateful that Peyton gets to have that time with him each morning.

Every New Year we sit down and write down the praises from the past year and set goals (spiritual, physical and financial) for the coming year. This year my goal is to read through the Bible in its entirety for the first time ever. Our church is reading it in chronological order and I am enjoying it very much, if you're interested in getting on board with this challenge you can follow this link to the daily sections of scripture readings.

The other goal I set for 2013 is to intentionally memorize scripture. I joined Beth Moore and her "Siestas" Scripture Memory Team as she is challenging women across the nation to memorize two Bible verses a month. By hiding God's word in my heart I find myself meditating on God's word much more frequently throughout the day, and from what I've experienced from watching Adam, is that once the verses start rolling around in his head it starts naturally just flowing out of him in conversation and in the choices he makes. I'm looking forward to more of that in my own life! It's not too late to join the challenge, if you're interested you can follow this link to the directions, its not hard (you just have to post your verse the 1st and 15th of each month) and this serves like an accountability partner. It's never a bad thing to memorize scripture, it takes time and determination, but I don't think I'll get to the end of the year and think "why did I waste my time memorizing scripture"...if it's anything like Adam, I'll wish that my mind could absorb more of God's word! My first verse of the year is Hebrews 4:12-13 "The word of God is living and active sharper then any double edged sword. It penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."

The words "nothing" and "everything" jumped out at me when I first read this verse. It's so convicting! "Nothing" and "Everything" means my snappy responses, my impatience and my "angry eyebrows" (as its called on a Veggie Tales video) never go unnoticed by God, and always is seen by Him. I've always known this but when I think about my EVERY thought and attitude, and as the verse goes round and round in my head, I'm reminded of how ugly and sinful my heart really is.

Thank you Lord Jesus, for loving me in spite of my sinfulness, thank you for being big enough to carry my sins and for being able to remove it all together! How amazing that when I repent I look white as snow to you, thank you for being such a good God!

Winter Wonderland


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...