Wednesday, February 29, 2012

1st Bunkbed Incident plus a LOT of discipline

Oh man, well the day started off pretty good, it was only 7:30 though, I was getting the boys dressed and Adam had headed out the door for work. I was tying Peyton's shoes sitting on the floor in front of their bunkbed when all of a sudden, "PLOP", there was Lawson in a crumpled heap laying on the floor. Well, it finally happened, they've been in bunk beds for over a year now and he finally fell off the top, the likely hood of that happening, while he was trying to carry a small Hoover vacuum up to the top bunk, is pretty high I guess. Though he had no cuts or scraps and seemed to be fine after some cuddling and back rubbing, I told him, "lets not try to vacuum up on the bed, its meant to be down on the carpet, ok Buddy?" To which he responded with a humble and understanding "ok Mom". We've talked about not standing up on the top bunk or even playing up there, its just a place to sleep and nap...but some lessons just have to be learned the hard way...and for some it takes longer to learn then others, which leads me to my next point of the day!
IMG_6509

I only had Lawson and Emerson today because Peyton goes to school (Tues, Wed, Thurs). Anyway, so I've had a lot of time with the littlest ones, and I don't know if its just a phase, I sure hope so, or if this is an indication of how this whole year (of being 3) will be, but Lawson has been incredibly whinny today. Whinny about EVERYTHING. You know what its like, we're at Target trying to get a few things and every aisle its, "I want those Oreos", "I want that flashlight", "I want to go home", "I want to get out and walk"...blah, blah, blah. Thankfully God has given me the grace to be patient with it today but I have to say right now it's grating on my nerves! I feel like a broken record because all day, seriously, ALL DAY, I've been saying the same few lines and quoting the same scripture to him, asking him, "Lawson, how do you sound right now? The tone of your voice is very whinny, not a big boy voice. What does the Bible say about whining?" To which he knows the answer: "Do everything without grumbling and complaining, so you may become blameless and pure, children of God..." He certainly knows the answer, but we've still done lots of time out and he's had 3 good spankings so far, and its just 2:30 in the afternoon.

Some days are just hard, but all day long, as I've been teaching and disciplining, this thought keeps coming to my mind, that I'm showing him how to react, teaching him what is appropriate behavior and how to respond to things in a god pleasing manner. I want him (and all my kids) to learn self control, its something we all have to practice and exhibit our entire life, so they might as well go ahead and learn this lesson early! In order to not focus on just the negatives of today I decided to look for a few "happy face" pictures to leave you and myself with...I love these little faces and am so grateful that God has entrusted these precious little people to me! May God be glorified in my weaknesses as I try to do what He's called me to do each and every day, and until He returns, I'll be solely dependent on His grace, mercy, love and big doses of His patience!!
IMG_6279
IMG_4953
IMG_4939

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...