Sunday, October 26, 2014

Mini Vaca: Scottsdale Part 2

On Monday, reality hit and Adam had to start his conference.
IMG_0610


To pass the time I decided to tour one of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes, Taliesin West. I have to say it was quite a bit more modern in its styling then I even realized it would be. The view from the home's sprawling 500 plus acres is spectacular, but I can't say that I loved the house.
IMG_1230


Our tour guide was an interesting fellow who knew quite a bit of trivia which I did enjoy learning.
IMG_0591


Frank Lloyd Wright began building this desert home in 1937 to be his personal winter home, studio, and eventual architectural campus. It's located in the Sonoran desert, in the foothills near Scottsdale. I learned that all the glass took 4-5 years to be brought out to the homesite so until it could be delivered, the house was really just a glorified tent because wherever the windows are now, they had to hang canvas. He was very big on nature and actually deified it. Apparently, every time you read any of his writings (and I say "apparently" because I've never read anything of his) he actually capitalizes "nature" because he equates it with God. That was of interest to me since he was the son of a Baptist minister and raised having heard about the one true God, though he did not seem to embrace that reality. He was very much influenced by Asian culture and had a lot of eastern decor throughout the home. Here is what the front of the house looks like.
IMG_1228


Frank Lloyd Wright was a well-to-do, influential man who had friends like "Harry", whom he called one afternoon when he looked out his front door view and was disgusted by all the high-line power poles that were being put into place as Scottsdale began to be populated. His friend "Harry" said, "Frank, I'm afraid we're dealing with a war right now and your power pole problems are of little interest to me". That's pretty "connected" if you can call the President of the United States your friend and you have a direct number to call him at the White House! Another interesting fact was that his son David Wright is the inventor of the childhood toy known as Lincoln Logs, which my kids still like to build with to this day.

There were many statues and bronze art out on the patio area that were done by students of the architectural school that is located on the premises.
IMG_1233


Taliesin West would not be a place I'd highly recommend as a "must see", though it was interesting and the views were beautiful.
IMG_1227


When I returned from my 90 minute tour I just hung out by the pool until Adam got out of his meeting.
IMG_0614

We were planning to go grab dinner but a very random, unexpected rain and lightening storm lasted for several hours, which NEVER happens in Arizona, so we just called in room service and watched a movie.
IMG_0609

Day 4-
Tuesday was my birthday so I enjoyed a chef cooked breakfast with Adam before he headed to his conference. Then I spent some time on the elliptical, went and showered and headed to my 60 minute massage. That was glorious and oh so enjoyable! I do not get them that often, to be exact, its almost been four years since my last one. And I am that crazy person who verified not once but twice (once on the phone and again when I arrived) that I did in fact have a female masseuse--for some reason I just get creeped out just thinking of having another man do my massage. Kathaleen was wonderful, a perfect combination of gentle yet firm.
IMG_0613

I left there with weak legs so I simply hung out by the pool and was able to finish two books I've been reading: Creative Correction (which has some really great ideas for discipline and ways to positively reinforce behavior) as well as finishing up Orphanology (which has been challenging and inspiring to consider ways we might help the Fatherless.) Doesn't this look like an easy place to relax?
IMG_0612

The trip to Scottsdale was really such a blessing and I could not have enjoyed my time away if I was worried about the kids. Thankfully, they were with my in-laws and parents who held down the fort and lovingly stepped into my routine with willingness and care so that I could enjoy my time with this wonderful man. We really enjoyed our time together!
IMG_0611


Mom, Dad, Bill and Donna- thanks so much for giving me the best birthday present of all, just a little bit of time. I think being able to relax for a few days gave me renewed love and desire to come back to reality.  I was excited to wake up and see my kiddos!  Oh how I love these sweet faces especially Ava Jane's bed head.
IMG_2945

IMG_5756

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...