Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mini Vaca: Scottsdale Part 1

Adam had a Healthcare Executives course that he needed to go to that just so happened to fall over my birthday so we decided to turn it into a mini vacation and go out a few days before the conference started.   I'd never been to Arizona so the scenery was all new to me.   It's always fun to get away with him and see and experience new things.

Once we landed, we caught a taxi to the resort and got checked in. We grabbed a bite to eat in Old Town Scottsdale (which is so quaint and lovely) then changed clothes to go do a hike. We climbed Camelback Mountain.  I had done a little research and had seen reviews like: "I've climbed Echo Canyon trail and Cholla trail over 100 times and they never disappoint", "there are large portions of the hike when you are using hands and feet to climb" and "it's a bit of a challenge, be prepared for some rock climbing closer to the top." I thought to myself, how bad could it be?  I told Adam, but we were both up for the challenge and were excited to see the views from the top.  It was spectacular and beautiful, the first 2/3's of the way I was thinking, "what's the big deal?" Then we hit the rock climbing portion, we went up a little ways, but this little Mama was D.O.N.E! We did enjoy the views.   It was quite a contrast to see the dessert, arid surroundings then to see a lush green golf course all from the same spot.
IMG_1111


I was stunned by how large the cactuses are, I don't know why I didn't expect that?  But the only cactuses that I recall seeing in person are the indoor potted plants that some people set out in their home.  So the grand scale of them was quite amazing!
IMG_1109


It was a nice hike, we enjoyed the time spent together talking and taking in the scenery.
IMG_0600


There were cactuses of all colors, shapes and sizes. And we saw cottontail rabbits and plenty of lizards. There were warning signs all over the place to watch out for Rattlesnakes, thankfully we didn't get to see one of those unclose; I think that would have sent me right up over the edge!
IMG_1121

IMG_1124

IMG_1128

IMG_1142


The reviews of this hike were right, it is no joke. It was hot and steep and really rocky toward the top, but the views were great! It was pretty crazy how the mountain was literally right in the middle of town, with million dollar homes built all around it.
IMG_1140

IMG_0603

IMG_1145

IMG_1216


This looked like a nice spot to take a rest.  See what I mean? One side of the mountain looked arid and desert-like with its red rocks and cactuses and the other side was this lush golf course resort.  It was pretty fascinating!
IMG_1117


And apparently, just like Little Rock got a lot of rain fall this summer, so did Arizona.  There were flowers blooming out of many of the prickly plant life, and it was really pretty to observe.  God's creativity and artistic nature is always fun to see and experience.
IMG_1146

IMG_1192


Day Two-
We woke up at a leisurely pace and grabbed a bite of breakfast before heading out to a day on the links. Adam has always wanted to play golf in a desert-like environment so that's what we did. We didn't realize it when we were climbing the mountain, but the golf course that we had seen was actually the course that he had made a reservation at, so that was neat to have been able to see it from an "arial" view as well as to be playing on it.
IMG_1159

IMG_1171


With Adam, there's always a good warm-up/stretching routine so I had to capture this. He's methodical and a lover of routine so he did it all: hip rotations, knee bends ("that gets the synovial fluid going") and of course arm circles and stretches.  I must say, I'm not an avid watcher of golf but I do believe he played pretty well, so maybe all that routine of his paid off.
IMG_1162


It was really just so pleasant to be in such a lovely setting with my best friend.  Driving around in the cart, looking at the houses and beautiful surroundings (with no whining or complaining to listen to) was a real treat!
IMG_1165

IMG_1170

IMG_1186

IMG_1185

IMG_1207


I enjoyed my day date with this man.
IMG_0608



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...