Tuesday, August 9, 2016

13 Years of Marriage

Marriage.  Marriage is such a wonderful blessing and a beautiful gift.  Our marriage has been full of joyful moments and really fun times spent together but it also has brought its fair share of difficult, challenging and self-sacrificing stretches too.  Life is full of ups and downs, happy moments and gut wrenching sadness that often occurs simultaneously.  I knew, thirteen years ago, when I married Adam, that I loved him very much.  What I didn't know was that my love for him thirteen years later, would be so much stronger then it was the day I married him.  My love for him has grown steadily each day and year that we have been privileged to spend together.  He has always been faithful to me, and he sacrifices time and energy to provide for our family.  He loves me with his actions and regularly verbalizes how much he cares for me.  I don't think I could love Adam Head any more, but I am certain thirteen years from now, through more good times and bad, our love will be even more solidified then it is now.  I truly believe Ecclesiastes 4:12 when it says "a chord of three strands cannot be easily broken."  I'm so thankful that Adam and I have the foundation of our marriage built upon the strength of the Lord which enables us to forgive one another- offering and accepting forgiveness which allows us to move toward each other even when feelings have been hurt or when miscommunications have occurred.  If we didn't have the reminder that "we love because He first loved us", our marriage would be much more challenging in the day to day, but because of the example Jesus lived out before us, we have something to emulate, something to model our relationship after.  We certainly don't do this perfectly, we fail on some level most every day.  We have had blow up arguments and disagreed about things,  I've spoken harshly more times than I care to admit and he has been irritated with me more times than I wish to share.  The thing is, we are both just two imperfect humans trying to live life together, and truly, it just takes work.  It takes dying to self every day and that is just plain hard to do.

At our wedding Emily Mesko sang The Prayer, the lyrics say:
"I pray you'll be our eyes
And watch us where we go
And help us to be wise
In times when we don't know...

...Let this be our prayer
As we go our way
Lead us to a place
Guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe."

I loved that song thirteen years ago and still enjoy hearing it sung today.  It's beautiful from start to finish, but its truly such a precious prayer when spoken to the Lord.  We still ask God to give us His insights, to show us where He'd have us go and where He'd have us plug in.  Sometimes we still don't know how to discipline our children in certain circumstances, sometimes I'm not sure how to respond when he shares things that have happened during his day away at work.  I often feel the weight of rearing our children in a God honoring way while he shoulders the burdens of providing for our family.  One is not better then the other or more valuable then another, they are just different roles that have extremely important functions and are what allow our family to operate efficiently and effectively.  I'm so grateful to have been given such a wonderful team mate and partner to navigate this journey of life alongside.

To commemorate our thirteen years of marriage, here are thirteen things I am praying for our marriage now and in the future:
1.That we would continue to draw near to God (James 4:8 "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you...")
2.That our marriage would be a testimony of our faith (I Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.")
3.That we would fulfill the responsibilities given to us as a husband and wife (Luke 12:48 "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much will be asked.")
4.That we would be content with little or with much and that we would steward well, what God has given us. (I Timothy 6:7-8 "For we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.")
5.That we will always run to God in times of trouble. (Psalm 91:1-2 "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.")
6.That we would be strong in our faith and withstand all of Satan's attacks on our marriage & family.  (Ephesians 6:10 "Be strong in the Lord and His mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take a stand against the Devil's schemes.")
7.That we would encourage each other with our words.  (Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.")
8.That we would be patient with each other. (I Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient...")
9.That God would put His hedge of protection around us. (Psalm 91:11 "For he will order His angels to protect you wherever you go.")
10.That we would instill a Godly heritage in our children (Isaiah 38:19 "It is the living who give thanks to You, as I do today; A father tells his sons about Your faithfulness.")
11.That we would model for our kids what a Godly marriage looks like (Luke 6:31 "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.")
12. That we would be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry (James 1:19)
13. That we would always remember whatsoever things that are true, honest, right, pure, lovely, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, we should think on such things.  (Philippians 4:8)

Adam, I love you tremendously and am so grateful God gave you to me!  I look forward with eager anticipation to what the next thirteen years will hold!  You have my whole heart, Happy Anniversary!
Untitled


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...