Sunday, October 1, 2017

14th Anniversary Celebration

Adam and I try to get away with each other once a year.  This year, in the span of a month we have managed to get away twice (thanks to my parents and our wonderful baby sitter Bri).  Twice in thirty days is almost unheard but we did!  We'd bought tickets to the Gavin Degraw and Need To Breath concert in Memphis at Mud Island months ago and looked forward to celebrating and enjoying time just together.   We left early on Saturday morning and enjoyed uninterrupted conversation in the car and shopping for some clothes for Adam that afternoon.  Shopping at our own pace, with my best friend truly was super enjoyable.  We hit up a few antique stores, one of which served us some wine to sip on as we browsed, that was a fun treat!

We took a little longer shopping then we probably should have, since we still needed to check in at the Peabody then get to our reservation.  Unfortunately with traffic and the parade of ducks in the hotel lobby, it took us a little while to get to our room.  We got checked in and I was planning to change and freshen up a bit when I discovered that I'd forgotten to pack the shoes to go with my dress, so, unfortunately I had to stay in the same clothes I'd been in all day and simply re curled my hair and add another layer to my makeup.
4156975896_42efb19f8b_o
DUA_3914r
13021265063_773ac585dd_o
We made the five minute walk to Flight, where we had reservations.  It was a really fun venue where the food, drinks, appetizers, etc were served in "flights" of three.  We enjoyed our charcuterie board and champagne (on the house since it was our anniversary).   If you are visiting Memphis, this is a definite place I'd recommend.
IMG_0746
IMG_0747
Since we ordered fish, we went with the "Nothing To Prove" flight which was crisp and refreshing. And how cute are these miniature entries, soft-shell crab, shrimp and grits and red fish with a mango salsa?  I was all delicious!
IMG_0756
After dinner we walked another few minutes to Mud Island (an outdoor amphitheater) where the concert was being held.
IMG_0764

IMG_0765
IMG_0768
We were slightly confused when Gavin Degraw came on.  It didn't totally look like him and we didn't recognize his "band" (a man and woman singing with him).  They had beautiful three part harmony but we didn't know ANY of their songs.  Adam and I began googling if he'd formed a band because we were super confused.  Turns out, the lead singer of Need To Breath apologized later in the show that that was in fact not Gavin Degraw but another band asked to come in last minute because Gavin had had a family emergency....it was so disappointing...but definitely cleared up the questions!

We had wanted to see Gavin Degraw, that's what we had "given" each other for our 14th anniversary (I shared about our anniversary back in August.)  Though we were disappointed in the concert, we enjoyed our time away together.  Our marriage is NOT perfect, we have disagreements, we have arguments, we have lots of pressures on us from all directions (kids, work, school, sicknesses, etc) but when we take advantage of the opportunities to get away, we are reminded of how much fun we have when we are together and how much we truly enjoy being with one another.  I was grateful for our time away.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...