Thursday, December 13, 2018

Start of the Christmas Season

We started this Christmas season by celebrating with the people who make CARTI Cancer Center so great, the wonderful physicians, nurses, staff, foundation and administration. It was a great way to kick off the celebrating! All the physicians involved helped to make the evening memorable and fun. Dr. Stern did an amazing job as he played the part of P.T. Barnum as the Master of Ceremonies and Adam pulled out his guitar and played a few songs recounting the four decades in the life of CARTI.  It was a great night spent with some wonderful people.
IMG_4804
Peyton kicked off the performance season with his 6th grade band Christmas concert.  In Middle School you have to choose between band, choir and drama, this year he chose to try out the band and has been learning to play the french horn.  Though the learning curve has been steep, I will say, the band did a great job at the concert and it was truly remarkable to hear the difference between the 6th and 7th grade bands and then to hear the High Schoolers playing their instruments--was truly worshipful.
IMG_5118
IMG_5119-2
We are so proud of you Peyton.
IMG_5120
Later in the week we smiled throughout the entire 2nd grade Christmas program called Crazy, Busy, Peaceful, Holy.  The play followed a family who had multiple kids, a crazy busy schedule and came face to face with the true reason for the season.  Hearing those little voices praising God was a treasure to behold.
IMG_4860
IMG_4851
This little guy did a great job on his narrator speaking part.
IMG_4862
And this sweet class is just precious--we sure love Ms. Rosenthal!
IMG_4865
Then Ava Jane and I had the chance to go see The Nutcracker with some friends.  I'd actually never seen the ballet before, so it was a first for me.  The snow falling and the beautiful ballarina's dancing was truly magical to watch.
IMG_4878-2
These two tiny dancers really enjoyed the show.  I was so glad we could make this memory together.
IMG_4885
Tuesday we had the privilege of hearing the 4th graders quote all of Luke 2 and then listening to their beautiful voices sing Christmas carols that announce and celebrate Jesus' birth.  My heart always swells and my eyes fill with tears when I hear all those precious voices quoting, from memory, that entire chapter describing the night Jesus was born.
IMG_5010
IMG_5004
They had to leave their jackets on the bus so it was quite breezy out on the steps of the Capitol.
IMG_5008
IMG_4989-2
IMG_4992
IMG_5020
We were able to get together with Shana and Cache which always does my heart good.  I loved catching up with them and spending the evening together.  I'm so thankful that God saw fit to have our paths cross six years ago, time with them is always encouraging to me.
IMG_4978
Last weekend we got to go see the Garvan Gardens Christmas lights with friends. It's become an annual event and we always enjoy doing that together.  This year we were able to get there earlier then usual, and with the rainy forecast, we honestly had no lines, hardly anyone was there which made for an even more wonderful experience. The lights, the hot chocolate, the friends, it all made for a great night!  When we arrived Ava Jane said, "this is my favorite place to go!"---I think we all had a good time!
15842424378_b2d8d06dbf_o
IMG_4912
IMG_4923
IMG_4930
I've been really enjoying Max Lucado's book, Because of Bethlehem with In the Manger.  He sure has a way with words and I always enjoy the insight he brings.  As I've been preparing my heart for December 25th--when we celebrate the fact that Jesus came, wrapped in flesh, to live a perfect life that would ultimately be the sacrifice that would enable me, a sinner, to have relationship with the Lord--I hope that you too can carve out a little down time in the midst this crazy, busy, peaceful, holy season.
IMG_4826

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...