Thursday, July 21, 2016

Changes Are Happening: Kid Snacks

As a mom to four kids who seem to constantly be hungry, even just moments after finishing any one of our three meals a day, I struggle to have healthy, go-to snacks on hand for when those growling bellies start to roar.  For so long I went to the regular, normal processed kid snacks.  We had a loaded up pantry full of Goldfish, Wheat Thins, chips of all varieties and always a Little Debbie dessert to throw in their lunch boxes for school.  This summer however, I've been trying to make changes in the way my kids and I eat and snack, so today I thought I'd share some kid snack ideas that I've found and follow it up with what I've been trying to do lately.

Here are a few of our favorites kid snacks so far.  My friend Carol introduced me to the bottomless pit of popsicle ideas that are out on Pinterest.  I took her lead and ordered popsicle molds off Amazon and have really loved it.  At first I was cynical and thought it would be too time consuming but literally it only takes a few minutes.  All you need are popsicle molds, whatever fruit you like best (we've done sliced strawberries, kiwi and blueberries), and some Coconut water.   So just three to five ingredients and you're ready to go.  Here's my kiddos enjoying their healthy popsicle treats while dressed as a pirate and a storm trooper.
IMG_4630
IMG_4637
I followed Double The Batch's tips on how to do this.
12330961605_5d2bc1e2ed_c
One of the snacks that I have really enjoyed eating, which I also got off Double The Batch's website were these delicious sliced apples slathered in peanut butter and sprinkled with granola.   I switched her mini chocolate chips to raisins --I'm sure that the chocolate would be a hit too, but we've not done that so far.  These don't sit out on our counter too long, because they get scarfed up!
apple-cookies-featured1
Another great cold snack treat that my kids have enjoyed are these quick and easy yogurt drops.   I found this idea over at A Healthy Slice of Life.  These were truly simple, easy and fast to make.  All you need is some Greek yogurt (any flavor will work).  Other then that all you need is a piping bag (a ziplock with a corner snipped off will work too) a cookie sheet and some sprinkles for fun.  All you do is pipe out little dollops on your cookie sheet, add a dash of sprinkles then pop them in the freezer for an hour or so and they're ready to go.  My kids have eaten the entire container of these in the last day so I'll have to get another round into the freezer and ready for consumption.
DSC06242_thumb
So there's a quick look at some of our favorite kid snacks this summer.  I'm always looking for tasty yet healthy treats so drop me your ideas in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Break: The Sweet Spot

I've been running mach 2 with my hair on fire and have not been posting as much as I'd like to on this here blog.  I'm a few wee...